|Bristol Event Highlights:
- Five-time event champion (2001, 2006, 2012, 2017, 2018)
- 2015 event runner-up
- 2016 No. 1 qualifier
2021 Bristol Recap:
Qualified second; Semifinal finish (defeated Blake Alexander in E1, Cruz Pedregon in E2; defeated by J.R. Todd in E3)
Last Event (Epping):
Qualified seventh; Semifinal finish (defeated Jim Campbell in E1, John Force in E2; defeated by Robert Hight in E3)
594 races; 69 wins; 32 No. 1 qualifiers
Eight races; one win; one runner-up; three No. 1 qualifiers
- As a five-time Bristol Dragway winner, Capps leads the Funny Car category in number of Thunder Valley Nationals triumphs
- The two-time and defending Funny Car series champion, and newest member of the Toyota Racing family, is vying to become the first of three Toyota GR Supra Funny Car pilots to win a Wally trophy aboard a Supra
- Fans are invited to join Capps, NASCAR legend Michael Waltrip, and NHRA on FOX lead broadcaster, Brian Lohnes, on Thursday evening from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. at Michael Waltrip Brewing Co. (221 Moore St., Bristol, Va.) for Capps’ ‘Wingin’ it with Ron’ Bristol stop
- Capps will join several of his Camping World Series competitors at the ‘Thunder Valley Nationals Fan Fest in the Pits’ autograph session on Saturday evening. The event will begin approx. 30 minutes post-nitro qualifying and will be located in the pro pits.
“Well, this is definitely one of the most fun parts of the season. For me, I’m so pumped that we have the Thunder Valley Nationals back on the schedule during Father’s Day weekend. It was unique to run it in October last year, but I think both the racers and the fans are happy to have it back on its traditional June date. We always brag about the fans, and the facility, and everything that comes with this event. Friday night qualifying in the mountain is awesome, and the big Fan Fest that the track holds after Saturday qualifying always draws a big crowd, it’s just such a great weekend overall.
“As a Funny Car driver, there’s not many times you can say you’ve won something more than John Force, and the fact that I’ve been lucky enough to win this race five times is pretty special. This is a good time in the season for us to get back to our winning ways. The goal, for now, remains the same, and that’s to park our NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota GR Supra in the winner’s circle on Sunday, and Bristol is the perfect place to do it.”